TransContainer’s main strategic objective with regard to environmental protection is to ensure the environmentally-friendly and sustainable development of the Company while also minimising the environmental impact of its activities.
Our key environmental protection principles include:
- ensuring compliance of the Company’s activity with the Constitution of the Russian Federation, federal laws and other regulations of the Russian Federation, international regulations governing environmental protection and sustainable use of natural resources, and strict compliance with the rules intended to ensure personnel, community and environment safety by all employees;
- constantly improving and enhancing our environmental performance and environmental management system;
- prioritising activities set to reduce the impact of hazardous operations on people and the environment;
- staying alert and taking immediate action to prevent and manage any environmental accidents, incidents, occurrences, disasters or other emergencies;
- taking a consistent and holistic approach to ensuring environmental safety;
The following guidelines were developed in 2018:
- maximum permissible emissions (MPE) for a 5-year term;
- maximum permissible discharges (MPD) for a 3-year term;
- standards for waste generation and disposal limits.
Since 1 January 2016, the Company’s road vehicles use Euro 5 fuel, ensuring reduced harmful air emissions.
|Activity||Target area (container terminal)||Expenditures (000 RUB)|
|Procurement of containers for waste accumulation||Kuntsevo-2, Lesok||30|
|Procurement of containers for temporary waste storage||Lagernaya||22|
|Construction of the water supply and fire extinguishing systems||Chernikovka||13,400|
|North Caucasus Branch|
|Maintenance (pothole repair) of the asphalt road pavements||Rostov-Tovarny||306|
|Overhaul of the asphalt road pavements||Krasnodar||2,455|
|Procurement of containers for temporary waste storage||Bazaikha||25|
Our environmental expenditures decreased by 11% year-on-year due to the shutdown of several terminals.
Solid waste is collected and stored in sealed containers in compliance with Sanitary Rules and Regulations (SanPiN) 126.96.36.1992-03 on Hygienic Requirements for the Storage and Disposal of Industrial and Consumer Waste. Solid waste control is ensured by keeping record of the generated, accumulated and transported industrial and consumer waste.
The Company set up temporary sites for waste storage and signed hazardous waste disposal contracts with specialist companies licensed to collect and recycle mercury-vapour lamps, household waste, scrap metal, and oily rags for their timely disposal.
In 2018, welding shops at container terminals were equipped with hazardous substance measurement devices.
In accordance with TransContainer’s Investment Programme, the fire-extinguishing and water supply systems were put into operation at the Chernikovka container terminal of the Kuibyshev Branch in 2018. Water from that system is discharged into an isolated system (catch basin), which prevents the dumping of liquid household waste to the ground. The solution allowed the elimination of negative environmental impact and lower risk of penalty imposition by the Federal Service for Supervision of Natural Resource Usage for non-compliance with environmental and sanitary-epidemiological requirements while handling liquid industrial and consumer waste. The penalty is provided for by Chapter 8 «Administrative Environmental Protection and Management Offences» of the Code of Administrative Offences of the Russian Federation. The system also ensured compliance with fire safety requirements at the facility and contributed to working conditions improvement. The project cost is RUB 13,401,199,000 (net of VAT).